Monday, February 13, 2012

valentine's day thoughts

I have a love/hate relationship with Valentine's Day. It's not the meaning behind the holiday, really. It's just the overdone displays of teddy bears and other obnoxious gifts in Walgreen's, malls and grocery stores that are always intimidating to me. And those big balloons, oh no! 


Let me fill you in on that Valentine's billboard along the highway, for Kym, I think was her name. Too much? Yep! Too much! That's intimidating. Single or taken.
I love, love itself. I believe in love, honestly. I believe in happy-ever-after's, call me naive. I believe a lasting, happy marriage is attainable, only because I've seen it done before. 

But no thanks to chick-flicks, hollywood, I've got a few wrong impressions of how fairytale romances fit into this real life. Still, I believe that Valentine's Day is just another day to tell someone that they're loved, worthy and appreciated. And that's just what it should be it, in my opinion. All the rift-raft takes that away. 
For Valentine's Day, simple is better, always. And that billboard? It's grounds for a break up... or a divorce. I'm not kiddin' either! 

Love and loss have taught me about the invaluable's, if anything, this year just before Valentine's Day. I really feel like my heart's in the right place, right now. No teddy bears, no huge romantic gestures, no billboards, no expectations, no picking out the perfect gift, no balloons, no expensive gifts, no travel plans,  no scheduling conflicts, no visits to the Walgreen's Valentine aisle, no decisions on where to go and/or what to do, no stress and no crowded restaurants this year. Just a whole day to think about what love really means for everyone in your/my life. Simple is better. Love is real and when it's right, it's completely unconditional. There's no sunshine without a little rain. Every day should be lived with passion, compassion, humor and appreciation. Cherish every moment with those you love. 

Happy Valentine's Day, y'all. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment